August 4, 2011

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Robopocalypse Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Published June 7, 2011 by Doubleday

Hardcover: 347 pages


They are in your house. They are in your car. They are in the skies…Now they’re coming for you.

In the near future, at a moment no one will notice, all the dazzling technology that runs our world will unite and turn against us. Taking on the persona of a shy human boy, a childlike but massively powerful artificial intelligence known as Archos comes online and assumes control over the global network of machines that regulate everything from transportation to utilities, defense and communication. In the months leading up to this, sporadic glitches are noticed by a handful of unconnected humans – a single mother disconcerted by her daughter’s menacing “smart” toys, a lonely Japanese bachelor who is victimized by his domestic robot companion, an isolated U.S. soldier who witnesses a ‘pacification unit’ go haywire – but most are unaware of the growing rebellion until it is too late.

When the Robot War ignites -- at a moment known later as Zero Hour -- humankind will be both decimated and, possibly, for the first time in history, united. Robopocalypse is a brilliantly conceived action-filled epic, a terrifying story with heart-stopping implications for the real technology all around us…and an entertaining and engaging thriller unlike anything else written in years.

Robopocalypse was a slightly terrifying and eerily real book.

First of all, let me just say that for the life of me I can't seem to remember how to spell "Robopocalypse" even though I will end up using that word several times in this year. That word is making me type like a snail Ro-bo-pa, no wait, Ro-bo-po-ca-lypse. Okay? Okay.

So, ANYWAY, when I first picked up this book, I got all excited because um *AHEM* it's about the Robot Revolution for God's sake! Plus, that cover is very endearing, and if you stare at it long enough, it creeps you out. Promise.

I loved the layout of this book. First, there were incidences, then madness, then the "end." Yeah, the word end was in quotations. You'll see why if you read this book. And I really liked how it went back and forth between so many characters, and how those characters and scenes pop back up later.

Robopocalypse will make you want to turn off all of your electronics, or at least you'll become a little more suspicious of them. I know I did... But, then again, I was really suspicious of technology in the first place.

Also, my favorite characters were: Nine Oh Two, Mathilda, Lurker, and Archos. I know, I know you're probably like "Archos?!" I can't help it, I just love a really good terrifying robot. And his voice? That was very terrifying.

Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment