June 27, 2011

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Published March 22, 2011 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Hardcover: 358 pages

What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb — males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape — to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.


I had read so many reviews for Wither (all of them being good) and each time I read another, I wanted this book even more. For some reason,I only just got it, and that makes me feel like an idiot. What was I waiting for? I feel like a village idiot. Not just an idiot, a village idiot.

That being said, Wither was fantastically amazing and I can definitely see why everyone loved it so much. The story was beautiful and scary and strange and I loved it. There was so much pain in this book, and there was a strong need for love as well. I don't think I've ever felt so much emotion in one book. I could be angry one page, and heartbroken the next. There were several times where my eyes filled with tears. So, so much emotion.

That cover! Hello! It's amazing! And it makes sense with the story. Even the parts that are circled make sense. I. Love. That. Cover.

I could say so much more (trust me, I certainly could), but I won't because I don't want to spoil it for you. Buy this book and stop being a village idiot like I once was. Seriously, I feel as though this interview is insufficient for what this book was like.

ONE MILLION STARS or, in other words, Five Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment