July 2, 2011

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Published May 31, 2011 by HarperTeen

Hardcover: 496 pages


How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Starcrossed was a good book with many twists and turns.

The characters were my favorite part of this book. The Delos family was so great. Lucas: amazing. Hector: I really like him. And everyone else was awesome as well. Helen and Claire were great best friends, and I loved the bond they shared. The high school was a typical high school with popular kids, sporty people, and so on.

Like the first sentence of this review says, there are a lot of twists and turns in Starcrossed. A good amount of them were really really crazy. The one that shocked me the most was the one near the end, where three people are on the beach. Yes, it is vague, but it must be that way if you don't want spoilery.

The only problem I had with this book was the Greek mythology. Honestly, this was the first Greek mythology book I have ever read, and I'm not quite sure if it's my thing or not. There were explanations of the gods and demigods and all that stuff, but I still don't get it. I especially don't get the whole blood feud thing. What? What's the blood feud all about? I suppose it doesn't help that my only point of reference was the Disney Hercules movie (although, it was definitely helpful with the Fates and the gods.)

Also, I don't think this book was painful enough for me. I know the whole point of the star crossed lovers thing is supposed to be tragic and upsetting, but for me the thing Lucas and Helen learn in the end even though we all know it isn't true was more upsetting. I really hoped I would feel the pain and the misery and the hopelessness, but I don't think I did.

If you like Greek mythology and romance, read this book.

Four Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment